Owen Science Fair
Owen Science Fair is Thursday, February 4, 2016
More information will be posted in the upcoming months!
Science Fair Guidelines
OWEN PTA GENERAL MEETINGS
All meetings are at 7 pm in the LMC and last approximately one hour.
Every person in the Owen community is encouraged to attend.
Only PTA members have voting rights.
BECOME AN OWEN PTA MEMBER
Won’t you join us? PTA membership gives you a vote at PTA meetings where we discuss current programs and invite new ideas. Everyone is welcome. Volunteering is not a requirement of membership. But we have tons of opportunities. Please visit our Volunteer tab for a list of all the volunteer positions.
Only $20 per Family provides a lot of Services to our Owen Community
The PTA sponsors far more than parties or social activities. Owen PTA spends more than $40 per student to provide funding and/or volunteer power for:
· Educational Programs such as Reflections, Publishing Center and Art Awareness
· Funding for Field Trips
· Science Fair
· Educational Assemblies
· Student Directory (FREE for members)
· Teacher Grants for classroom supplies and support materials
· Improvements such as reducing lunch room waste and planting gardens
· Community Service programs
· Kindergarten Orientation
· After School Clubs
· Teacher Appreciation events
...just to name a few.
And we also provide social opportunities:
· Dads & Donuts and Moms & Muffins
· Classroom parties and special events
· Family Night Events
· Halloween Party
& so much more
Joining PTA makes for a stronger community bond between teachers, students and parents. Follow this link to read an article from PTO Today about the benefits of getting involved: http://www.ptotoday.com/pto-today-articles/article/1032-its-worth-every-minute
PTA Membership Form 2015-2016
We invite all Owen PTA members to join us by contributing their time as a volunteer. We could not bring all the wonderful programs we provide to Owen students without volunteers.
We have tons of opportunities from a one time, at-home project to coordinating an event to becoming a Board Member and everything in between. It’s a great way to make new friends, share your talents or develop new skills.
Please read through the Volunteer Descriptions link below and complete the Volunteer form. If you have any questions, contact our Membership Chairperson.
PTA Volunteer Description
PTA Volunteer Form 2015-2016
Owen PTA Committees
We are grateful to the many PTA members that run our programs and events. Below is a list of the leadership roles. We are always looking for more volunteers. If you are interested, please find descriptions of each committee and a volunteer form under our Volunteer tab of the website.
Owen PTA Committee Chairs and Coordinators
Titles listed in bold serve as Owen PTA board members.
Budget and Finance Chair
- Audit Committee Members
- Bylaws Committee
Educational Enrichment Chair I
- Art Awareness Coordinator
- Assemblies Coordinator
- Reflections Coordinator
- Science Fair Coordinator
- Variety Show Coordinator
- World Kaleidoscope/Diversity Coordinator
Educational Enrichment Chair II
- Green Owls Club Coordinator
- K-2 Publishing Center Coordinator
- Kinder Press Coordinators
- First Edition Coordinator
- Going 2 Press Coordinators
- 3-4 Publishing Center Coordinator
Health & Safety Chair
- Helping Hands Coordinator
- Red Ribbon Week Coordinator
- Spring Field Day Coordinator
- Vision & Hearing Coordinator
- Walk to School Coordinator
Indian Prairie Special Needs PTA Liaison
Indian Prairie Parents' Council Representative
- Student Directory Coordinators
- Nominating Committee
Parent Diversity Advisory Council Liaison
Project Arrow PTA Liaison(s)
Public Relations Chair
- Display Case Coordinator
- Calendar Board Volunteer
- Scrapbook/Historian Coordinator
- Newsletter Coordinator
- Publicity/Newspaper Liaison
- Apparel Coordinator
- Community Service Coordinator
- Kindergarten Orientation Coordinator
- Picture Day Coordinator
- School Supply Kit Coordinator
- Donuts with Dad Coordinators
- Family Night Coordinator
- Fifth Grade Farewell Coordinator
- Halloween Family Event Coordinator
- Ice Cream Social Coordinator
- Muffins with Moms Coordinator
- Staff Appreciation Breakfast Coordinator
- Staff Appreciation Meal Coordinator
- Staff Appreciation Week Coordinator
- Winter Party Coordinator
Ways & Means Chair
- Box Tops Coordinator
- Business Partner Coordinator
- Labels for Education Coordinator
- Market Day Coordinator
- Recycling Fundraiser Coordinator
- Resale Committee Representative
OWEN PTA Fall/Winter RESALE EVENT!
Our 9/12/15 resale features gently used Children’s Fall/Winter
clothing (sizes 0 to 20), jackets, sports uniforms, scout uniforms, shoes,
accessories, bedding, furniture, playpens, car seats, swings, highchairs,
strollers, toys, books, games, puzzles and more!
DATE: Saturday, September 12, 2015
TIME: 7:00-11:00 a.m.
11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. (1/2 price sale)
WHERE: Owen Elementary School - Gymnasium
1560 Westglen Drive, Naperville 60565
*No Admission Fee*
**We now accept Credit Cards!!**
Closely supervised children only! No strollers. Cash, check (proper ID required) or credit cards accepted.
DIRECTIONS TO OWEN: From the intersection of 75th Street and Route 59: go east on 75th Street to Modaff, go right (south) on Modaff to Bailey, go right (west) on Bailey. The school will be down 1 block at the intersection of Bailey and Westglen.
Owen Website Content – Reflections
PTA Reflections Art Contest
2014-15 Theme: “The world would be a better place if…”
Entry Deadline: Friday, October 10, 2014
Each year your PTA sponsors an art contest for students K-12. Students compete at their local school for an opportunity to advance to district, state and national levels. The competition is an invitation for students to express themselves in a fresh way. There are six categories to choose from and no limit to how a student can interpret the theme.
REFLECTIONS RULES IN BRIEF
Literature: Must be handwritten or typed by the student on any paper not to exceed 8 1/2 x 11 inches in size. (Grade 1 and younger, and Special Education students may be assisted without altering child’s words.) Work must be no more than 2,000 words. Could be: poem, play, short story, essay, etc. Literature projects may be in the student’s native language, but must be translated into English without altering the student’s expression.
Music Composition: Music must be recorded on a CD and cannot exceed five (5) minutes in length and 1 GB in file size. Various formats are accepted for this category. The preferred format for judging purposes is MP3.
Photography up to 11 x 14 inches (including mat) or smaller. Photography may be black and white or color. The student must snap the photograph using any still camera. A student may submit a photo, collage print, retouched print, multiple exposure, etc.
Visual Arts: Artwork can be up to 30 x 24 inches in size, or smaller. Completed project must be flat. Do not glue anything on your work that will not be completely flat. May use drawing, painting, printmaking, collage, etc. Artwork on stretched canvas will be disqualified.
Dance/ Choreography: Choreography must be the work of one student who may or may not be one of the performers. Entries must be recorded on DVD, not to exceed five (5) minutes and 1 GB file size. Various formats are accepted for this category. The preferred format for judging purposes is MP4/MPEG.
Film/Video Production: Student must be the director, screenwriter and cameraperson. Can be fiction or nonfiction, with or without sound, animated or computer generated. All aspects of the film must be done by the student. Entries must be recorded on DVD and are limited to five (5) minutes and 1 GB file size. Various formats are accepted for this category. The preferred format for judging purposes is MP4/MPEG
1. All projects must be the original work of ONE student. Projects advancing to the next PTA level must have a signed statement of originality granting permission to the National PTA and Illinois PTA to use their work. Student and parent/guardian signatures must be included on each “Official Entry Form.”
2. Each project MUST express the theme-“The world would be a better place if…”
3. All entries must contain a Title.
4. All entries must include an Artist’s Statement to describe what inspired their work and how it relates to the theme (at least one sentence, up to 100 words max).
5. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited, except for recorded music in dance choreography and film production entries
6. Work should be neat. Keep work from becoming wrinkled or torn. Please do not shrink wrap artwork.
7. Grade correct grammar and spelling are required. A dictionary should be used.
8. Projects must include student’s name, grade and class on the back of the project. PLEASE USE CLEAR SHEET PROTECTORS INSTEAD OF YELLOW OR MANILLA ENVELOPES.
9. Three-dimensional art will NOT be accepted; only art on paper, poster board, material mounted on cardboard, or canvas on cardboard will be accepted. NO GLUED ON NOODLES, EYES, BEADS, etc. Submit Flat work only. Artwork on stretched canvas and framed art/photos will be disqualified.
10. Student may enter more than once in each category.
Special Artist Division:
Special Artists should follow the general rules and guidelines specific to their submissions, modified only by accommodations for individuals with disabilities. The accommodation, in general, should be both specific and limited to the student’s disability. Special Artists have two options for entry: (1) enter in traditional grade division, choosing the grade division most closely aligned to their abilities, without having extra assistance from an adult; or (2) enter in the Special Artist division, which is non-graded, and may receive non-artistic accommodation and assistance from an adult. Please see the Special Artist detailed rules for more information.
Entry Forms, General Rules and Detailed Rules for each Category:
Student Entry Form 2014
Detailed Rules Visual Arts
Detailed Rules Literature
Detailed Rules Photography
Detailed Rules Dance Choreography
Detailed Rules Film Production
Detailed Rules Music Composition
Detailed Rules Special Artist
Teacher Grant Information
Indian Prairie Special Needs (IPSN) PTA
The IPSN PTA represents the parents, caregivers and staff of special needs students in District 204. If your child has an IEP or a section 504, the IPSN PTA can be a great source of information.
Our primary mission is to support and offer resources to these families. We accomplish this through our meetings, as well as events and programs that are run by the SN PTA. Some examples of the types of programs and events we have offered include the IPSN PTA Resource Fair, the Teacher Grant program, District 204 Special Olympics Expo, and great guest speakers at our monthly meetings.
In addition this year we have a Back to School Picnic, Family Bingo night and other social events in the works. It’s great to have an arena to be able to talk to other parents who may be going through some of the same issues as you, and learn about school policies and legislation that may affect you and your family.
Is IPSN PTA for you? Check out the answers to these frequently asked questions: http://ipsdweb.ipsd.org/uploads/IPSN/IPSN_PTA_FAQ.pdf
Join as a Member: http://ipsdweb.ipsd.org/uploads/IPSN/IPSNMembershipApplication1213.pdf
Attend a meeting to learn more: http://ipsdweb.ipsd.org/ipsn/Default.aspx/SpecialNeedsMeetings
For more information on helpful resources and upcoming events, visit the IPSN PTA website: http://ipsdweb.ipsd.org/ipsn/
Also see the District 204 Student Service website page for the Special Education Parent Guide including information on student and parent rights: http://ipsdweb.ipsd.org/Subpage.aspx/StudentServices
Owen Spiritwear Sale
Order online with a credit card or download an order form to pay with a check. Send your check and order form through backpack mail in a sealed envelope labeled PTA Spiritwear. The sale begins 8/10 and runs through 9/10.
All orders will be delivered to students at school at the end of October.
ORDERS DUE BY SEPTEMBER 10TH!!
Download the attached spirit wear brochure to view the selections!
Spirit Wear Brochure
9/3 PTA General Meeting @ 7pm in the LMC
Kindergarten teacher Mrs. Lorenzo is our guest speaker!
9/8 Picture Day -
Volunteers needed. Click on the sign up genius link on the
PTA home page to sign up for a volunteer slot!
9/10 Spirit Wear Online Sale Due Date
Order at www.headsupapparel.com
9/25 Donuts with Dad 8:00-8:50 am MPR
9/28 Parent Child Open Gym Grades K-2 6:00-7:30 pm Gym
October 1-17 Owen Owl's Read-A-Thon Fundraiser